In earlier releases of OpenELEC support for rsync was included. At some point it was moved to the unofficial addon repository. Unfortunately it looks like the unofficial addon repo has been abandoned. OpenElec 8 has been out for a year and there is still no unofficial addon support for it. I would assume that there won’t be any support for it in the future either.
I run OpenELEC on a RaspberryPi and really needed rsync support for it.
To get it working I cross compiled rsync for armv7 on my regular Linux machine and then copied the binary to my OpenElec box. I figured this might be handy for someone running into the same issue. This workflow is specific for ARM.
Continue reading “Cross compile rsync for OpenELEC” →
After updating my Nexus 5 to Marshmallow I started encountering a strange issue. When listening to music/podcasts the voice search activated frequently and prompted: “To do a Google Voice search, please unlock your phone“. If I would walk with my phone in the pocket this would sometimes happen every 2 seconds, which was extremely frustrating.
I spent several hours trying to find a software fix, but even though the problem seems to have been around for years there is still no official fix. My research revealed that the problem is that my phone thinks I’m using a headphone with a built in cable mic. I’m using regular headphones with a TRS plug though. I could have purchased different headphones to fix the problem, but I really like my current headphones and didn’t want to buy new ones.
Continue reading “Nexus 5 / Android Headphone Voice Search Fix” →
A while back I bought a QI charger PCB off eBay for $3.55. I wanted to build a wooden phone dock with built in wireless charging. I still had some wood scraps my neighbor gave me a while back, which is why the project including all materials cost me < $5.
The QI charging PCB:
Continue reading “QI Charger” →
After doing a video of an endurance hiking competition, where I did a lot of handheld footage walking with the hikers, I realized that I need some kind of camera stabilizer. The commercial units are unfortunately out of my hobby-filmmaker budget. I looked around for DIY solutions and came across this DIY build:
Continue reading “DIY Steadicam” →
A while ago I came across a picture of a headphone amplifier in an Altoids tin. Even though I don’t have headphones that necessarily require an amp (Audio-Technica ATH-M50) I decided to go ahead with the build. It’s an easy enough project to build in a weekend. I followed this excellent tutorial with a few modifications. I built the single 9V battery version. I ordered all my components except the pot from DigiKey. I ordered the pot from Mouser. I still had a bunch of perfboards lying around from previous projects and used one of them. The total cost for the parts came to around $30. Unfortunately DigiKey doesn’t show you the shipping cost on checkout and to my surprise they charged me $30 for regular UPS ground shipping. I contacted their support and apparently there is a shipping cost calculator link somewhere during the checkout process. Seriously DigiKey, it’s 2015, update your website.
Continue reading “CMoy Headphone Amp” →